Time for Tapas: Aubergine, feta and ricotta rolls
Simple to make and they taste delicious. These aubergine rolls are perfect for summer picnics or a lunch buffet.
Serves: 4 as a sharing tapas plate
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 aubergines
- 1/2 block of feta
- 175g ricotta cheese
- small handful flat leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 5-6 rasps of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ tbsp capers, chopped
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Oil for frying
- Salt / pepper
- 100g bag mixed rocket, watercress and baby spinach
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- Clean the aubergine and cut lengthwise into slices about 5mm thick. You should get about 6 slices per aubergine. Brush each slices on both sides with the oil and grill them in batches on a griddle pan for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are browned, tender and pliable. Set them aside.
- Meanwhile, crumble the feta and mash with the ricotta in a bowl with a fork and add the parsley, thyme, nutmeg and some black pepper. Stir in the capers.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of filling on to the wide end of each aubergine slice and roll it up like a Swiss roll.
- To serve, arrange the salad leaves on a large platter, dress them with lemon juice and olive oil, then season. Arrange the aubergine rolls on top, with the seam side down. Decorate with the pomegranate seeds. Serve at room temperature.