Time for Tapas: Bell pepper with anchovy, olives and tomatoes
This tasty stuffed pepper appetizer is the kind of dish served at Spanish tapas bars — slices of red yellow and green peppers are filled with garlic, green olives, capers and spicy saffron.
The anchovies packed with omega-3, add some punch and saltiness that contrasts nicely with the sweet roasted peppers.
You can make the filling a day ahead, just make sure to let it come to room temperature and stir it before using.
Serves: 6 as a sharing tapas plate
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 - 4 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 15 green pitted olives, chopped
- 8 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained (save some of the oil for drizzling later) and minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil, plus a few leaves to garnish
- 100g toasted pine nuts for serving
- Preheat the oven to 190C fan. Cut each pepper in half through the core and remove the ribs and seeds. Cut each half lengthwise into 3 wedges and arrange them cut-side up in a single layer in two large shallow oven-proof serving dishes. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, olives, minced anchovies, tomato, capers, saffron, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and with sea salt and black pepper. Spread about a tablespoon of the mixture on each pepper wedge. Drizzle with saved anchovy oil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the peppers are tender, and the filling is a little crisp on top. Sprinkle with torn basil and serve warm or at room temperature.