Don’t Flip! Go gluten-free with our chickpea pancakes
It’s Shrove Tuesday, so we thought we would celebrate with an alternative pancake recipe. This gluten-free recipe does away with refined carbs, replacing them with chickpea flour.
Pulses such as chickpeas are not only a great source of soluble fibre, they're also beneficial for peri-menopausal women for their phytoestrogen content. Basically, they're plant-based compounds that mimic oestrogen and it’s thought may help balance our hormones. Worth a try we think, especially if all that flipping might make you flip!
Try them with our Yellow Lentil and Butternut Squash Dhal and a dollop of real Greek yogurt. They’re also make a great savoury brunch pancake with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- Olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and finely sliced, or half a large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 100g canned chickpeas (drained)
- 150g chickpea flour, sifted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 10g butter
- Heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, without letting them colour, for about 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Season, add the chillies (if using) and cook for a further minute, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the chickpeas and stir.
- Put the chickpea flour into another mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg yolks and start whisking together, add 200ml water, a little at a time, until it forms a smooth batter. Stir in the onion and chickpea mix. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, then fold this into the chickpea mix.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add half the butter and, when it’s foaming, add 2 x 50ml ladles-full of pancake batter (leaving a gap between them) and cook for two minutes, or until light brown on the bottom and starting to set on top. Flip them over and cook for a further minute or so, until brown on the undersides. Transfer to a plate (or warming drawer if you have one) and repeat with the remaining batter.