Mediterranean Meno menu: Roasted asparagus with cherry tomatoes halloumi and balsamic dressing
An easy, colourful Mediterranean side dish, a perfect accompaniment to go with fish, meat or other vegetable main meals.
This recipe also works well with crumbled feta, even simpler as it doesn’t require cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 350g asparagus spear, woody ends snapped off and discarded
- 330g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 225g halloumi sliced into 2cm thickness
- 15 large basil leaves, torn
- handful of pine nuts toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C fan. Put the asparagus and cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season, then toss everything together. Bake for 15 minutes until the asparagus is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on a medium heat. Pat the halloumi squares dry and fry them in batches for 1-2 minutes, turning over once with a spatula. When the cheese turns golden brown, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the asparagus is cooked combine all the ingredients together, and top with the pine nuts and torn basil leaves.