Perfect pasta for menopause: Fennel, Courgette and Lemon Pasta
Just by looking at the lightness of this pasta dish, you’ll feel the benefits of its goodness.
A perfect mid-week meal to sling together when you’re strapped for time.
You could cut down on the cooking time by grating the courgettes and finely slicing the fennel.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 400g whole wheat pasta
- 25g butter
- 50g pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large fennel, thinly sliced, save any fronds for dressing
- 2 large courgettes, grated
- 10 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 150ml crème fraiche
- 3 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a large non-stick frying pan, tossing until golden. Put aside. Melt the butter in the pan and gently fry the garlic, once softened, add the fennel and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the courgettes, and sundried tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain, retaining a small amount of the pasta water.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the lemon zest and juice, crème fraiche, basil and drained pasta to the pan and stir to combine, add a little of the pasta water if you would like a lighter sauce. Check the seasoning, add the pine nuts and top with parmesan shavings.