Perfect pasta for menopause: Vegan creamy mushroom pasta
The secret ingredient for this creamy 100% dairy free sauce, is, would you believe … cashews! Packed full of healthy protein and fat, when soaked over-night they form the base of this incredibly rich, dreamy, creamy non-dairy, and intensely mushroomy sauce.
It’s not just a pasta sauce, pour it over chicken breasts, white fish, even steamed veggies. Add a little extra water and it makes a mega-moreish mushroom soup.
Prep time: 5 minutes (Allow 4-24 hours to soak the cashews)
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 250g any whole wheat pasta
- 150g cashews, soaked in water for 4 – 24 hours
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 700g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions or until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large non-stick frying pan, add the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and one of the garlic cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the soaked cashews, remaining garlic, sea salt, black pepper, 375 ml of water and a scoop of the cooked mushrooms to a food processor, or blender and blitz on high until smooth. Check and adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the rest of the mushrooms. Bring the sauce to the boil. Transfer the drained pasta to the sauce, adding a little of the pasta water if you want to lighten the sauce.