Salving Soups: Super healthy spinach soup
This vibrant, super-green and super-healthy soup, is perfect for any season.
Our nutritious, vegetarian spinach soup is low in calories to help with weight loss as well as offering an abundance of health benefits: spinach is packed with lutein, folate, potassium, and fibre. Upping veggie consumption will help with your overall health and may help to keep heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and anaemia at bay.
Perfect as a light lunch. Make a batch and freeze, so you can grab a healthy last minute meal rather than reach for shop-bought, as we all so often do when time is pressing.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 25g butter,
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 leek sliced
- 2 small sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 small potato peeled and cut into roughly 1cm dice
- 1l stock, made with 2 x vegetable or chicken stock cubes
- 500g of fresh spinach
- 150g crème fraiche
- sesame seeds, milled linseed or chia seeds for scattering
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in the pan and add the garlic, gently cook for 1 minute. Add the spring onions, leek, celery and potato and stir for another minute to coat the vegetables. Put on the lid and allow to sweat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the potato has softened.
- Add the spinach and cook for a couple of minutes until it has wilted. Either use a hand blender to whizz up the vegetables or transfer it to a food processor to whizz them into a smooth soup.
- Add it back to the pan, season to taste. Stir in the crème fraiche and heat up ready to serve.
- Serve it with sesame seeds, milled linseeds or chia seeds scattered on top.