Time for Tapas: Spanish style frittata
This colourful Spanish omelette, is packed full of flavours. It’s great served at any temperature. The classic recipe contains only potatoes, onion and eggs, but we’ve added extra vegetables as we love a Hot Flush of colour.
Eggs are crammed full of protein and healthy goodness; this is a perfect lunch recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 250g new potatoes, scrubbed and cut unto 5mm slices
- 150g frozen peas
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 4 medium size chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and return to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the potatoes are just beginning to soften, add the peas and cook for a further minute to defrost them. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a large non-stick frying pan with a flame proof handle. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for a further 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft, but not brown. Add the mushrooms, peppers, cooked potatoes and peas to the pan and continue frying, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the basil and some black pepper, then stir in the potato, onion, pea and tomato mixture.
- Place the frying pan back over a medium heat, add the remaining oil and swirl around. When the oil is hot, pour in the egg mixture, spreading it out evenly. Cook the omelette for 5-7 minutes on a low heat, shaking the pan frequently, until the base is set.
- Use a spatula to loosen and lift the edges of the omelette, allowing the uncooked egg mixture to run underneath. Meanwhile preheat the grill to medium.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top of the omelette. Place the pan under the grill and continue cooking the omelette for 5 minutes until it is golden brown and set. Pierce the top with a knife to make sure it is cooked all the way through. Slide the omelette out of the pan onto a board and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes. Serve cut into wedges.